Empaths are highly attuned to other peoples’ feelings and emotions. Empathic people are often seen as just sensitive; in actuality, empaths are able to connect to other peoples’ energies in unique ways. An empathetic person can relate to others on a very deep level, which often affects their own feelings and energy levels.
What makes empathy unique is that it can be practiced and strengthened by anyone who wants to be more empathic. Like a muscle, it can grow stronger and it can atrophy. Empathic people can strengthen their skills by meditating, listening to their gut, and helping others.
There are a few ways to improve your empathic skills. Here are six of these ways.
- Take time for yourself. We rarely give ourselves the space we need to really tune into our bodies and our minds. Even just ten minutes a day spent in a relaxing, quiet environment can dramatically improve your perspective on life. Meditation is one way to create a corner of the world for yourself to rest, relax, and be rejuvenated. These quiet moments can allow you to connect with yourself, and eventually connect with others through your emotional energy pathways.
- Go with your gut. Too often we don’t listen to what our bodies are telling us, but this is a mistake. Our intuition is worth listening to. Learn to trust the feelings you have, especially when they’re regarding other people. This allows you to strengthen your empathic skills over time.
- Find time to get grounded. Whether its taking a walk or sitting in a park, climbing a mountain or feeling the grass underneath your feet, connecting with nature is one way to center yourself and get some peace and quiet. Empaths are constantly dealing with other peoples’ energy, both negative and positive, and that can really wear you down over time. Make sure you are able to deal with this outside energy by taking care of yourself as much as you can.
- Learn from the animal kingdom. Take a look at the animals around you- they live completely in the present moment and display unconditional love to those around them. Interacting with animals can help clear an empath’s head and allow you to have some moments of calm clarity.
- Know yourself. Get to know what makes you tick and who you are as a person. Your sun sign can bring you a lot of insight into who you are as a person, as can your astrological chart. However, only you can know who you are and what makes you succeed.
- Find your happiness. Empaths relate to other people and their energy so much that places with a lot of people can be incredibly overwhelming. Make sure you know your boundaries and are able to stick with them to avoid feeling too overwhelmed.
Empaths are very important members of society, and often empaths and their intuition make them excellent spiritual readers. If you want to work on your empathic skills, consider following these steps to improve your talents and help others.