Scents are important. Smell is a major sense, and we use our sense of smell to navigate through our world. Smells bring back memories, can take us back in time, soothe us and agitate us. How we react to certain smells says a lot about who we are and can even be an indicator of our personality type.
Perfume or cologne can make a person unique in our minds. When we smell a certain smell it can remind us of an ex or our current significant other, just as it can remind us of family members or scenes from our childhood. Scent can be a unique and personable gift to give someone, but it can be a challenge to pick a sent out for someone.
Here are a few factors to consider when buying perfume or cologne for a special someone.
- Pay attention to what they already smell like. Do you notice that they use a specific brand of lotion or put on one type of perfume when they go out? Find out what your partner likes to smell like every day and on special occasions. Surprise your partner by asking what smells they like and which smells they associate with different feelings or memories. You might find that they don’t know what kind of scent they like to wear, so you can explore this new nose world together. Once you know what kind of scent they like, pick one that has similar undertones.
- Consider who your special someone is. Certain types of essential oils work better for some people than others. Different personality types will react differently to specific scents; some will be relaxing, while others might cause stress or discomfort.
- Check out the floral scents. Floral fragrances are typically attributed to women. Florals go with almost all personality types, so they are a good place to start if you’re not quite sure what scent will be good for your partner. Common floral scents include rose, jasmine, orange blossom, gardenia, and lavender. These scents can be light and airy or a bit heavier, so try a few before committing.
- Fruits and citrus scents are also commonly used. Lime, lemon, tangerine, and mandarin scents all provide a sharp, fresh aura that can be invigorating. These scents are great for people who are energetic and outgoing. Citrus scents can also be mixed with light scents like peach, plum, and green apple for a diverse and memorable scent.
- Woodsy fragrances are common for men, but not exclusive to them. These fragrances commonly utilize ingredients like pine, oak moss, patchouli, and bergamot. These scents go well with men who want to evoke images of the outdoors while remaining distinguished.
- Oriental fragrances use spices, amber, incense, and resin scents to evoke warm, rich feelings. These scents are commonly used by people who want to work a room and own their sexuality confidently.
- Green scents are fresh and lively. Grassy scents give off the impression of the outdoors and sunny days spent relaxing. Juniper, pine, herbs, and other aromatic scents impress people who are outdoorsy and sporty.
The strength of the perfume also matters when choosing what you want. The strength is determined by how concentrated the essential oils are in the perfume or cologne. The more essential oil that is used, the longer the scent will last. The strongest fragrance category is eau de parfum, followed by eau de toilette, eau de cologne, and eau fraiche. The more expensive the scent, the more expensive it is likely to be.
Consider when your partner will be wearing this scent. Keep light, floral scents for the spring and summer, and flow into heavier, musky scents in the fall and winter. Day scents are best kept light and airy, while evening scents should be distinguishable and iconic.
If all this seems like too much information, don’t worry! You can always ask for help when testing and choosing a new scent for your special someone. Once you do decide which scent to get them, be confident in your choice! The thought and effort you put into this gift goes a long way and will mean a lot to them. How they smell will constantly remind them of you.